I’m sure that like me you’ve been asking yourself this question many times and I’m here to clarify everything for you.
CAL is the English abbreviation for Crochet Along. And you want to know what Crochet Along.
What is a CAL?
- It is a group of crocheters, who join virtually to make together the same CROCHET project or pattern.
Usually, it is called by the designer of the pattern, although it may not be like that.
It is important for you to know that there are many ways to do it, although it is always virtual. Keep in mind that you go at your own pace, you don’t have to go at the pace of the rest of the group.
- In some CALs the pattern is free, in others it is paid.
- Some have a deadline to finish and there are open ones, with no deadline.
- Some have a prize for those who reach the end, and others have no prize.
- The prizes can range from a gift, a free pattern or even a free lesson.
- There are some in which you know from the beginning what you are going to make and others that are called MISTERY, in which you don’t know what it will be and it is revealed in parts.
- In some you get the complete pattern from the beginning, in others they give it to you in sections.
- You can make the groups on different platforms: Ravelry, Facebook, Telegram Discord, Instagram….
- Some make a CAST ON PARTY, others don’t.
The designer or the person in charge will always tell you the requirements at the beginning, the start and end date, if there is a prize, where to buy the pattern or if it is free, what platform it will be on and everything else you should know.
Benefits from a CAL
You crochet in a group, which helps you stay motivated during the process, which is not always easy.
If you have any doubt, the designer will be on hand to help you, and not only will he or she be involved, but the rest of the members of the group will be there to help you.
You will meet new crocheters and learn from them as much as they learn from you.
You will feel supported, especially if you are doing something that is new to you, such as a new technique or a garment construction that you haven’t done before.
And last but not least, you will have fun and enjoy yourself.
Save this Post for Later
Difference between CAL and KAL?
KAL is the abbreviation for Knit Along, it is the same as a CAL but for knitting.
What does CAL means in Spanish?
In Spanish some people say “tejijuntas” for both CAL and KAL. And some other Spanish-speaking crocheters and knitters use CAL and KAL like in English.
I hope I was able to help you, if you already knew it was a CAL tell me about your experience with them in comments.
If you are on Instagram FIND ME there!!!
Have a good crochet time!!!